Economic Development


2018 at a Glance


Land Use Documents


Contact Us


I'm new to the Village of Gilberts, where do I find information about my new community?

Please use the resources contained in this website or stop by Village Hall located at 87 Galligan Road to pick up a new resident Welcome Packets. The information included in the packets will assist new residents with setting up various utilities and becoming familiar with the area.

What School District serves the Village?

District 300 services the majority of the Village. For more information, visit their web site www.d300.org. Gilberts Elementary School serves Gilbert's children - kindergarten through 5th grade. Their main phone # is 224-484-5900. Huntley District 158 serves the northern portion of Gilberts along Galligan Road, which is currently an un-built area.

How do I establish water and sewer service?

Contact Village of Gilberts Water Dept. to set-up an account at 847-428-4167. If you reside in a multi-unit dwelling, call your homeowners association.

What companies provide cable television to the Village?

The village currently has AT&T U verse and MediaCom that provide various internet based bundled services. For service information please contact AT&T's at www.att.com or contact MediaCom at 800-824-6047.

How do I set-up my garbage service?

The Village has a contract with Marengo Disposal Company for waste hauling service. Please contact the Village of Gilberts at (847) 428-4167 to set-up an account and for delivery of your recycle bin and refuse receptacle. Refuse, recyclables and yard waste are collected on Thursday or Friday depending on where you live in the Village.

What is the holiday garbage pickup schedule?

MCD recognizes New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day as holidays. If any of the above holidays fall on your collection day, pick up will be one day later for that week only.

What are the office hours for Village Hall?

The Village Hall is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. On Tuesday the Village Hall is open until 7:30 p.m. The Public Works Facility at 73 Industrial Drive is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where is the Gilberts Library?

Gilberts is part of the Dundee Township Public Library district which has two locations

  • 555 Barrington Ave. East Dundee 847-428-3661
  • Randall Oaks Branch Library located on the lower level of the Randall Oaks Recreation Center 500 N. Randall Rd.  West Dundee 847-428-3661

How do I report a burned out street light?

The Village or Commonwealth Edison are collectively responsible for village street lights. Please call the Public Works Dept. at 847-428-4167 to report a street light that is out.

Does the Village have outside burning regulations?

Yes, residents may burn unpainted wood and landscape waste, including weeds and leaves on Sundays and Wednesdays between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.

If I'm a contractor working in the Village limits must I register with the Village?

Yes, all contractors doing work in the Village limits must register. The contractor will also need to supply the Village with a certificate of insurance and a surety bond for not less than $3,000.

Are all businesses operating within the Village limits required to be registered with the Village?

Yes, all businesses operating within the Village limits are required to purchase a business license which is annually renewed in June. The fee for the license is $25.00.

Must all coin operated devices at my place of business be registered with the Village?

Yes, all coin operated devices are required to be registered with the Village. This registration is also renewed annually in June. The fee for coin operated devices is $15.00 per machine.

Does the Village have an overnight parking ban?

Yes, the Village does not allow parking on the streets between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. If there is a special circumstance you must get permission from the Gilberts Police Department.

Does the Village enforce a Snow Parking Ban

Yes, it shall be unlawful for any person to park any vehicle or trailer on any village street following the accumulation of two or more inches of falling snow until removal. The Village through its police officers and/or other authorized Village Officials in their sole discretion shall determine reasonable snow accumulation.

Does the Village require residents to purchase dog tags?

No. The Village recently passed Ordinance 07-2013, Resciding the requirement of dog licensing within the Village.

Do I need a water softener?

Although it is not required, it is suggested to try the water without a softner before purchasing one.

What are the regulations concerning dog litter?

Village Code Section No owner or custodian of any animal shall cause or allow such animal to soil defile or defecate on public property or upon any street, sidewalk, public way, play area or common grounds owned jointly by the members of a homeowners or condominium association, or upon private property other than that of the owner, unless such owner or custodian immediately removes and disposes of all feces deposited by such animal.

What are mailbox regulations?

Mailboxes are governed by United States Post Office regulations. All residents should check the placement of their curbside mailboxes to avoid snowplow damage. Please ensure that the box is securely fastened to the post, and that the box does not protrude over the curb. If the mailbox hangs over the curb and/or into the street, it is in danger of being damaged by snow removal operations. This placement allows for streets to be plowed from shoulder to shoulder, or curb to curb, to provide for proper snow removal, slush drainage, and mail carrier mailbox accessibility. If you have any mailbox or general mail questions, please call the Gilberts Post Office at 847-426-6313. If you believe that your properly placed mailbox was damaged by Village equipment, please contact Public Works at 847-428-4167.

Who should clear sidewalks of snow and ice?

Sidewalks are the responsibilty of the adjoining property owner to be kept clear of ice and snow. Please remember, do not deposit the snow or ice onto the roads as this creates a safety hazard and slows the efforts to clear streets.

How do I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?

Kane County offers free pick-up for residents in Gilberts. To schedule a free pick-up you may call the HHW Hotline at 1-800-449-7587.

How do I keep solicitors from ringing my doorbell?

Section 8.10.5 of the municipal code states, "The owner or occupant of any residence who desires to forbid trespasses by solicitors or peddlers may attach or exhibit upon or near the main front door or the main rear or side door, if any, a card stating..."Solicitors or Peddlers Not Invited." You may obtain such a sticker at the Village Hall at no charge.

Why is snow plowed back in to my driveway after I've shoveled?

The streets must be plowed shoulder to shoulder or curb to curb to provide for proper drainage, mailbox accessibility and to allow clearance for future snow removal. The plowing of some snow onto driveway entrances cannot be avoided.

Is there something I can do to ensure my house is safe while I go on vacation?

If you will be away for a week or more, you may request a house watch by the Police Department by calling 847-428-2954 to make arrangements. Supply the dates you will be gone, a contact phone number in case of emergency and description of vehicles left in the driveway. The form can also be found under documents at the police department's section. If you will be gone for an extended period of time, use timers to turn lights on and off to make your house look lived in. Try to have someone pick up your mail and newspapers from your driveway.

How will I know when there is a weather emergency?

The Village of Gilbert is equipped with a warning siren to notify residents in the event of an emergency. It is tested at 10:00 a.m. on the first Tuesday of each month. Other than testing, the siren will only be used when a tornado warning is issued and can only be heard while outdoors as an indication to go indoors or take shelter immediately.

Where can I get a new driver's license?

The nearest location of the Department of Motor Vehicles is 595 S. State St, Elgin, IL. For more information see their website at www.cyberdriveillinois.com

Why are there Special Service Areas in the Village?

There are several Special Service Areas throughtout the Village. The SSA is a tax collected to pay off bonds that were issued to fund public improvements in your area. Like a mortgage, the payments are spread over a 30 year period to keep the payments manageable. For more information, contact Marlene Blocker, Finance Director at 847-428-4167.

What can I do if there are properties in my neighborhood that are overgrown with weeds or in violation of other Village nuisance ordinances?

You can contact the Building Inspector at 847-428-4167 to report the matter.

Is there a curfew for minors in the Village of Gilberts?

It is unlawful for a person less than 18 years of age to be present at or upon any public assembly, building, place, street or highway within the Village of Gilberts at the following times: Monday thru Thursday, curfew for all persons under 18 is 10p.m.; Friday, Saturday and Sunday, curfew for all persons under 18 is 11p.m.

Is there a Village Park District?

The Village of Gilberts does not operate a park district. The Village maintains park areas with shelters and playground equipment for the use by Gilberts residents. These parks are Memorial Park, Waitcus Park, Town Center Park, Town Square Park.  Memorial and Waitcus have pavilions available to reserve for special events. You do not pay taxes to a park district, so participate in programs in other communities will be at out of district rates.

Where is the Post Office?

The Gilberts Post Office is located on Railroad and Jackson Streets. Their phone # is 847-426-6313.

Does the Village have an Electric Aggregation program?

Yes, following the passage of a voter referendum on March 20, 2012, the Village contracted with Verde Energy. They can be reached at 800-241-0295. To set up an account with ComEd call 800-334-7661.

Can residents have a block party?

Yes, you will have to provide all adjacent streets and baricade locations as well as getting approval from the Public Works Dept., the Police Dept. and the Fire Dept.

What are the hours construction, power and manual equipment and machinery can be operated?

The hours allowing the operation of equipment and machinery are as follows: Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. and Sunday and national holidays 10:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m.

©2018 Village of Gilberts

Website Powered by Web Construction Set