Home

Community

Economic Development

Government

Departments

2014 at a Glance

Documents

Citizen Center

Contact Us


Our Community

The Village of Gilberts platted in 1855 and incorporated in 1890 has a population of 6,879 as of the 2010 census. The Village is located in Kane County and governed by a Village President and Board of Trustees.  The Village's policies are set by the Village President and the Village Board.  The Village Administrator is responsible for implementing the policies and directives of the Village President and the Village Board.


A Brief History of Gilberts with a View Towards the Future
 [View the History of Gilberts Page]


In the spring of 1836, E.R. Starks and Elijah Rich filed claims to what would be Rutland Township, named after the Vermont City that had been their home before traveling to the Illinois frontier. In 1839, Albro Gilberts arrived, establishing his farm in what is now the center of Gilberts. Around the year 1852, a post office was established near the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad station and was named Gilberts Station. Soon after, the surrounding area of this establishment was also known as Gilberts Station. In 1855, Elijah Wilcox, and Andrew Pingree bought Gilberts' farm and platted the village. Because of Albro Gilberts' great presence and establishment in this area, Gilberts Station was renamed Gilberts in his honor.

The community served as a loading point for agricultural commodities. Incorporated in 1890 as Gilberts, the village grew slowly until the proximity of Interstate 90 and the growth of nearby Elgin brought increased development. By 1930, Illinois Route 72 was completed and became the village's first paved road. Gilberts did not have electricity until the Rural Electrification Administration brought it as a part of the New Deal.

Demographics
_______________________________________________________________

As of the census of 2000, there were 1,279 people, and over 394 households and families residing in the village. The population density was 153.8/km˛ (398.0/mi˛). There were 398 housing units at an average density of 47.9/km˛ (123.8/mi˛). The racial makeup of the village was 95.86% White, 0.16% African American, 0.31% Native American, 1.64% Asian, 1.56% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.36% of the population.

There were 394 households out of which 51.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 79.9% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.7% were non-families. 8.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.25 and the average family size was 3.43.

In the village the population was spread out with 31.5% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 31.2% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 4.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.

The median income for a household in the village was $87,847, and the median income for a family was $92,433. Males had a median income of $57,300 versus $32,375 for females. The per capita income for the village was $31,898. None of the families and 0.6% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no one under eighteen and 5.1% of those over 64.

The Special Census taken in 2004 reported a population increase of 4,472 residents with a total of 1,848 households.  Median age was 36.1 years and median household income was $95,183 with a household income per capita at $32,835.  Total household units were at 97.4% occupancy.  Median home value was $224,161 with less than 1.6% valued under $99,000. 

The special census taken in 2008 reported a population increase totaling 6,364 residents.  Median age is 36.3 and median household income is $101,365.  Median home value is $336,515.

The 2010 Decennial Census taken April 1, 2010 certifies that the official population of the Village of Gilberts is 6,879. 

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Gilberts, Illinois".

 

©2014 Village of Gilberts

Website Powered by Web Construction Set